Thursday, March 11, 2010

Great Expectations Question

In chapter 29, when Pip returns to Miss Havisham's house to visit Estella, I had a few questions concaerning Miss Havisham. Throughout the entire book up to this point, I always thought that Miss Havisham was out break Pip's heart through Estella. That is, until I read this passage: "Hear me, Pip! I adopted her to be loved. I bred her and educated her to be loved. I developed her into what she is, that she might be loved. Love her!" (240) After reading this passage, I was a little suspicious. Is Miss Havisham setting Pip up for even more heartbreak, or is she finally excepting him and approving him for Estella? Ive always thought of Miss Havisham as a crazy old women who only cares about making others as miserable as she is, never as the women who wants to see a happy ending for the couple she and her finace never were. Whats up with Miss Havisham?

5 comments:

  1. AH- You stole my question!

    But anyways, I got an answer. I think that what you said about her finally giving up and approving Pip or something is right.

    Actually, I take that back. I think that Miss Havisham was trying to persuade Estella to break his heart for her own selfish reasons. Then, after a while of getting to know Pip and stuff, she eventually began to like him. Or she knew that Pip was in love with Estella and she could do nothing to prevent it, so she changed her views. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." Is basically what Miss Havisham did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Miss Havisham is saying that she wants Pip to love Estella with his whole heart and passion, but not for the same reason you may think. I think Miss Havisham wills Estella to break every man's heart that ever has the idea of loveing her, just as Miss Havisham got her young heart broken by a man who didn't love her.

    By the way it's fiance not finace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Miss Havisham has bred Estella in the way she has so that she can break men's hearts. I believe that she wanted Estella to be as attractive as she is so many men fall for her. However, in a way I also believe that in the corner of her heart she wants the best for Estella and is starting to accept Pip but hasn't fully accepted him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About this quote, I definitely agree with noth Linsie and Michaela. Because of Miss Havisham's misfourtunes in her previous relationship when her heart was broken, she wants Estella to provide her revenge. This way, she will have Estella become "close" to Pip, and when he is completely in love and wants to be completely devoted to her, she will leave him, therefore breaking his heart. I also think that once Estella is done with Pip, Miss Havisham wants her to break the hearts of many men in her future, because I think Miss Havisham doesnt like any men and believes the are all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Mrs. Havisham is making Pip love Estella so that she can break his heart again. She is using Estella to make someone else feel miserable like she did.

    ReplyDelete