Friday, March 19, 2010

Another Question

The question that I had in these chapters was near the beginning of the reading - Chapter 37. On page 292, Mr Wemmick is advising Pip about what to do with all of the debt that he and Herbert have. The part I dont get about this is when Wemmick all of a sudden brings up a metaphor. "I should like just to run over with you on my fingers, if you please, the names of the various bridges up as high as Chealsia Ranch. There are as many as six, you see, to choose from." I was very confused when I read this, and after Pip says to Wemmick himself that he donesnt understand his words, Wemmick replies: "Choose your bridge, Mr Pip. And take a walk upon your bridge, and pitch your money into the Thames over the centre arch of your bridge, and you may know the end of it. Serve a friend with it, and ou may know the end of it, too - but it's a less plesant and profitable end." Obviously, I can see that Mr Wemmick's advise is wise, but I dont fully understand what he's saying..the whole bridge metaphor is little bit weird.

5 comments:

  1. I think that he is just giving Pip advice. I think that most of the time in this novel we think too hard about things and don't look at the easy stuff! I think that it is actually good advice for us to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-also i think he is telling him that he has to choose whether he is going to take the "rich gentleman" life bridge, or go back to his "family" bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Wemmick is trying to tell Pip that no matter what you do with your money, how you spend it, or who you give it to, it will some how end up gone, or it will go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am almost positive if you read on carefully only a little you would find the answer you're looking for. What Wemmick means when he says "pitch your money into the Thames" is that there is in fact no profitable path by any of the bridges, and that Pip should keep his money. Not rid himself of it.
    Hope i helped... Wemmick says what the metaphor means within the next few paragraphs. try reading it over, It only a sentence and thus easy to miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When i read this I took it way more literally. I thought that Wemmick was telling Pip that a better use of his money would be to throw it away into the Thames.That helping Herbert would be a complete waste. I dont know if that's right but that was all i got out of it.

    ReplyDelete